Summer is the perfect time to sell – gardens are in bloom, buyers are more motivated and the sun is more likely to be shining down on your property. Check out our handy tips for making sure your house is ready to sell this summer.
1. Stand outside your home and compare it to your neighbours’ properties. If you do this and it makes you feel slightly embarrassed, it’s likely that you’ve already failed to impress your potential buyers. Your home needs to have kerb appeal as first impressions really do count.
2. Ensure the lawn is cut regularly and free of weeds, and keep any hedges trimmed neatly.
3. Check borders and flowerbeds for any weeds. It could also be worth a trip to the local garden centre for some brightly coloured flowers to plant in beds, pots or hanging baskets to catch a buyer’s eye, but don’t overdo it!
4. Clean any paved or decked areas. Even if they look alright, it is amazing how much better they will look after being cleaned. If you don’t have a pressure washer, it is worth borrowing one from a friend or hiring one, as they are perfect for this job. Also fix any paving slabs that are uneven or wobbly and remove any weeds that are growing through the cracks.
5. Make sure the gutters are clean and look in good condition.
6. Ensure window frames are also in good condition. Windows are a tell for the condition of the house in general and buyers often pay close attention to window frames for this reason. Don’t forget to clean the windows inside and out and polish them to give them an extra shine.
7. Get rid of any unnecessary clutter outside such as children’s toys, your dog’s favourite ball, bikes, gardening tools and supplies and empty plant pots. Also make sure things like bins, compost containers and pet food bowls are stored where they cannot be seen or, more importantly, smelled!
8. If any woodwork such as fences, benches, sheds or summer houses are looking a bit tired, give them a new lease of life with a coat of wood treatment.
9. Prune any trees or vines that are casting shadows inside the house to make the inside look as bright as possible.
10. Lastly, ensure the house name or number is clearly visible and is in good condition so potential buyers can find your house easily.
If you’re thinking of selling this summer, PFK are happy to help. For a free, no-obligation market appraisal, call your local office, email or drop in and see us. Don’t forget, if you instruct us to sell your property before the end of May you will be entered into our ‘Sell Your Home for Free’ competition (for terms and conditions please see: http://www.pfk.co.uk/sell-home-free/)