National Model Design Code Update
The 14 local planning authorities in England selected to apply the new National Model Design Code (NMDC) to their areas have been announced by housing minister Christopher Pincher.
- Colchester Borough Council, Tendring District Council and Essex County Council (East)
- Guildford Borough Council (South East)
- Herefordshire Council (West Midlands)
- Leeds City Council (Yorkshire & Humber)
- Mid Devon Council (South West)
- Newcastle City Council (North East)
- Dacorum Borough Council (East)
- Portsmouth City Council (South East)
- Sefton Council (North West)
- Southwark Council (London)
- Hyndburn Borough Council (North West)
- North West Leicestershire District Council (East Midlands)
- Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council (West Midlands)
- Buckinghamshire Council (South East)
The national design code seeks to ensure that new developments are "beautiful, well-designed and locally-led". Developments should also fit in with local character.
The 14 councils (see above) will take part in a six-month testing programme in which they will apply the National Model Design Code (NMDC) in their area.
Further details on the Design Code can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/957205/National_Model_Design_Code.pdf